Coal Geology and Mining 101
This is the resource page where we try to organize basic coal geology and mining articles. Start at the top and go down the list as you learn more. Articles are welcome from geologists all over the globe at CoalGeology.Com. Please send your contribution to email@example.com. Please tell us your name, position, company/university information when you send your article.
- Introducing Coal: Definition
- Five Things You Didn’t Know About Coal
- Coal Formation and Coal Rank-The Buried Sunshine
- Coalification and Rank of Coal
- Periods of major coal formation in the world
- Coal Classification and Analysis: Coal Rank, Classification by Heat value
- Coal Preparation process, potntial contamination from CHPP, preventive measures
- Coal Swamp – Definition
- Effects of coal mining on Earth and Human Health: Should we stop mining coal?
- Mountain top removal mining (MTR) in USA: Coal mining and regulations
- Coal Deposits in the USA: Geographical Distribution of Coal
- Coal Mining Acts, Rules and Regulations in the USA
- Tools for Field Geologists
- Mine Subsidence: Mine Subsidence can be defined as movement of the ground surface as a result of readjustments of the overburden due to collapse or failure of underground mine workings. Surface subsidence features usually take the form of either sinkholes or troughs. continue reading at: http://www.dep.state.pa.us/MSIHomeowners/WhatIsMS.html#9pics
- Review of available technologies for the removal of selenium from water: http://www.namc.org/docs/00062756.PDF
Igneous Petrology Course Notes: One of the best course outline and notes available online at http://www2.ess.ucla.edu/~ejohnson/ess103a/ess103a_2006.htm
Guidance for the use of the Synthetic Precipitation Leaching Procedure to Develop Site-Specific Impact to Ground Water Remediation Standards:
Coal Mining Companies:
- Alliance Resource Partners: Alliance Resource Partners, L.P. (ARLP) is a diversified coal producer and marketer with significant operations in the eastern United States. The company is the coal-producing industry’s only publicly traded master limited partnership. Website: http://www.arlp.com/
- Alpha Natural Resources: Alpha Natural Resources is one of America’s leading producers of coal, which is an essential part of our daily lives. From generating light and heat to helping make the steel that goes into our roads, bridges and buildings, coal powers our future. In fact, coal generates 40% of the world’s electricity and powers almost 70% of global steel production. Website: http://www.alphanr.com/
- Arch Coal: As one of the nation’s largest and most efficient coal producers, Arch Coal contribute roughly 16% of America’s coal supply. Arch coal has a leading position in all three major low-sulfur coal basins, with mining complexes in Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Virginia. Website: http://www.archcoal.com/
- CONSOL Energy: CONSOL Energy Inc. (NYSE: CNX) is the largest producer of high-Btu bituminous coal in the United States and a leader in the production of coalbed methane gas. Coal and gas collectively fuel two-thirds of all of the nation’s power generation. Website: http://www.consolenergy.com
- International Coal Group: International Coal Group (NYSE:ICO) is a leading producer of coal in Northern and Central Appalachia and the Illinois Basin. We have 13 active mining complexes, of which 12 are located in Northern and Central Appalachia and one in Central Illinois. We control one billion tons of high-quality coal reserves that are primarily high-BTU, low-sulfur steam and metallurgical quality coal. Our mining operations and reserves are strategically located to serve utility, metallurgical and industrial customers throughout the Eastern United States. Website: http://www.intlcoal.com/
- James River Coal: James River Coal Company mines and sells bituminous, steam and industrial-grade coal through six operating subsidiaries located throughout Eastern Kentucky and Southern Indiana. We are the sixth largest coal producer in Central Appalachia and the third largest in the Illinois Basin. Website: http://www.jamesrivercoal.com/
- Patriot Coal: Patriot Coal Corporation is a leading producer and marketer of coal in the eastern United States, with 14 current mining complexes in Appalachia and the Illinois Basin. The company ships to domestic and international electric utilities, industrial users and metallurgical coal customers, and controls approximately 1.8 billion tons of proven and probable coal reserves. Website: http://www.patriotcoal.com/
- Peabody Energy: Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU) is the world’s largest private-sector coal company, with 2009 sales of 244 million tons and $6 billion in revenues. Its coal products fuel 10 percent of all U.S. electricity generation and 2 percent of worldwide electricity. Website: http://www.peabodyenergy.com/
- TECO Coal: Based in Corbin, Kentucky, TECO Coal Corporation is one of the four core businesses of Tampa, Florida-based TECO Energy, Inc. We are proud to be part of the coal industry, a vital contributor to our nation’s energy supply. TECO Coal Corporation operates primarily in Eastern Kentucky, with limited operations in Virginia. Our major operations include: Clintwood Elkhorn Mining Co., Perry County Coal Corp. and Premier Elkhorn Coal Co. Website: http://www.tecocoal.com/
West Virginia Coal Association: http://www.wvcoal.com/
- Coal Price of the Week: A Very good site by Energy Information Administration (EIA) to track the coal price in USA. Data for coal market are updated every week and presented in different graphical manner. Also classify coal price based on sedimentary basin and coal composition.
- Platts Coal spot price: The phrase “Platts Coal spot price” should be clickable to: http://www.platts.com/Products-Services/Coal-Prices
- Coal Production and Number of Mines by State and Mine Type in USA: Another great page by EIA. Lists no. of active mines in all states in America.
- Coal – DOE: Page dedicated to coal by Department of Energy
- World Coal Institute: Website of World Coal Institute, contains information about coal, envirinment, technology, pollution control and much more.
- Introduction to coal: A nice introduction for beginners.
- http://www.fairchildint.com/: Fairchild International provides the highest quality equipment to the global underground coal mining industry. As an independently-owned-and-operated manufacturer, we use the most advanced technology to design and produce a wide range of continuous miners, haulage systems, shield haulers, battery-powered scoops and maintenance vehicles. At Fairchild, we support our customers with extensive training and maintenance programs, helping them to achieve the industry’s highest standards of quality, productivity and cost-effectiveness.
Selenium and Coal Mining
Other useful Sites:
Databazaar.com Recommended Source of Office Supplies for Mining Companies. It is one of the few online retailers of office supplies (ink cartridges, toners, printer paper & accessories) that offers true free shipping on all orders.
Titanium Block : Find premium titanium block and customer service at Titanium Metal Supply.