COAL MINE FATALITY - On Saturday, March 17, 2012, a 55-year-old surface foreman with 19 years of mining experience was killed when he was caught between the frame of a highwall miner transportation dolly and a front-end loader with a duck bill attachment.
- Never position yourself between equipment in motion and a stationary object. Always be aware of your location in relation to machine parts that have the ability to move.
- Ensure mobile equipment operators are aware of your location at all times.
- Maintain communication with mobile equipment operators when working in confined areas. Ensure that line of sight, background noise, or other conditions do not interfere with communication.
- Ensure miners are adequately trained for the task they are performing.
- Use a tow bar with adequate length and proper rating when towing heavy equipment.
- Make yourself more visible by wearing brightly-colored clothing or clothing that is distinguishable from surroundings.
Go to http://www.msha.gov/fatals/2012/FAB12c05.asp for details.