Ankan Basu, PG, CPG, Gold Medal
407 Ridgeway Drive, Bluefield, VA, 24605
Phone: 304 888 4184
Send Your Story and News releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Basu is a Certified Professional Geologist (CPG) with over 10 years of experience in resource and mining geology, hydrogeology, geochemistry, environmental issues, and engineering. He is particularly proficient with several modeling software programs for geologic, hydrogeologic and geochemical issues. Clients include those involved in mining, landfill applications, industrial and environmental issues. Mr. Basu has conducted many mineral resource and reserve studies and prepared reports as per JORC, NI 43-101 and US SEC standards. He has also completed projects involving complex geochemical modeling using USGS software PHREEQC and Geochemist’s Workbench. Mr. Basu received gold medal for outstanding performance in college and also a national scholar. Mr. Basu has published many papers on geochemical issues in some of the top journals apart from writing numerous technical reports to clients.
Mr. Basu is also highly experienced in wireline-geophysics – interpretation of geology based on gamma, density, caliper, sonic log signatures etc. He has successfully managed various drilling programs and logged core and chipped samples.
Key consulting service areas:
- groundwater-surface water interaction, evaluation of pump test data and geophysical well logs.
- Aquifer testing (Packer test, Pump test, Slug test); interpretation of field data; derivation hydrologic parameters using AQTESOLV software.
- Monitoring well installation; water sampling and water user inventory data collection, well abandonment.
- Mine inflow prediction based on field conductivity data; evaluation of mine dewatering requirements; seepage through barrier estimation; inflow to slope and shaft determination.
- Stream-flow measurement and evaluation of data.
- Hydrologic balance assessment associated with mining activities.
- Underground Injection Control (UIC) permits preparation.
- Preparation of analytic (AnAqSim) and numerical model (Visual MODFLOW, PMwin) model for site characterization.
- Groundwater resource evaluation
- Instruments used: Pressure transducers, water level meters, sonic flow meters, packers etc.
- Evaluation of water quality data; QA/QC.
- Collection of geochemical samples as per industry regulations, analysis of chemical data.
- Acid Base Account (ABA) and Se sampling and data analysis for all coal related projects.
- Soil sampling and strength tests especially for slope and shaft development projects.
- RCRA metal remediation; bioremediation.
- Knowledge of XRD, Alpha Spectrometer and other laboratory methods such as leach test, sequential extraction methods etc
- Preparation of geochemical speciation analysis and Eh-pH diagrams for various purposes including PHC studies.
- Preparation of Stiff and Piper diagrams.
Coal and Mineral explorations
- Exploration and economic assessment of natural mineral deposits, field supervision of drilling; field mapping, geologic /geotechnical and fracture (RQD) logging of core.
- Reserve and resource evaluation: preparation of geologic model; isopach mapping; structure, fault and lineaments delineation; database preparation of geologic logs; preparation of 3D geologic model for mineral reserve and resources in CARLSON software (SurvCADD); preparation of geologic reports as per international standards such as CIM (Canadian Standard); JORC; USGS Circular 981 and the United States Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) in Industry Guide 7.
- Interpretation of wire-line geophysical logs for coal reserve estimation; aquifer identification; water level and rock type determination.
- Mine hazard evaluation; roof and floor mapping.
- Sampling and analysis of Coal Bed Methane.
- Geotechnical investigation; strength testing; Rock Mass Rating (RMR) evaluation.
Education and Credentials
- Certified Professional Geologist (CPG), Certificate No# 2801001899, State of Virginia
- Registered Professional Geologist (RPG), Certificate No# 5745, State of Tennessee
- Licensed Professional Geologist (LPG), Certificate No# KY-2567, State of Kentucky
- Certified Professional Geologist (CPG); Certificate No# 2013012068, State of Missouri
- Certified Professional Geologist (CPG); Certificate No# PG002116, Georgia
- Certified Professional Geologist (CPG, AIPG); Certificate No# CPG-11576
- SME Registered Member # 4187929RM
- Masters of Science – Geology (concentration Hydro-geochemistry) Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, 2006
- Masters of Science – Geology (concentration Geochemistry) Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2004
- Masters of Science – Applied Geology (concentration Metamorphic petrology) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 2002
- Bachelor of Science, Earth sciences; Minor: Chemistry, Mathematics Jadavpur University, West Bengal, India, 2000
- The Geological Society of America (GSA)
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon (SGE)
- American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG)
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG)
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME)
- University Gold Medal in Bachelor’s of Science (2000) from Jadavpur University, India.
- National Scholarship (1997) from Govt. of West Bengal, India.
- Basu, Ankan & Schreiber, M (2012): Arsenic release from arsenopyrite weathering: Insights from sequential extraction and microscopic studies; Journal of Hazardous Materials; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2012.12.027
- Basu, Ankan (2006): Assessment of Arsenic Mobility using Sequential Extraction and Microscopic Methods; Thesis submitted to Virginia Tech for Master of Science
- W. Crawford Elliott, Ankan Basu , J. Marion Wampler, R. Douglas Elmore and Georg H. Grathoff (2006); Comparison of K-Ar ages of diagenetic illite-smectite to the age of a chemical remanant magnetization (CRM): An example from the isle of Skye, Scotland, Clays and Clay Minerals; June 2006; v. 54; no. 3; p. 314-323; DOI: 10.1346/CCMN.2006.0540303.
- Blumstein, A. M., R. D. Elmore; M. H. Engel; C. Elliot; and A. Basu (2004); Paleomagnetic dating of burial diagenesis in Mississippian carbonates, Utah, J. Geophys. Res., 109, B04101, doi: 10.1029/2003JB002698.
- Basu, Ankan (2004): A Comparison of K-Ar Ages of Illite to the Age of Chemical Ramnant Magnetization; Thesis submitted to Georgia State University for Master of Science; 107p.
- Basu, Ankan (2002): Metamorphic History of Sausar Belt, India; Thesis submitted to Indian Institute of Technology for Master of Science.
- Basu A and Schreiber M; 2005. Geochemistry of arsenic in mine tailing deposits. Graduate Student Research Symposium.
- Basu A and Schreiber M; 2004. Spectroscopic and Microscopic analysis of arsenic contaminated sediments. Graduate Student Research Symposium.
- Basu A and Elliott C; 2003. Remagnetization and Clay diagenesis in Jurassic Sediments of Skye, Scotland, American Geological Union Fall Meeting CA.
- 40 Hr. OSHA HAZWOPER
- Alpha Spectrometry Training Certificate.
- Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Training.
- First Responder HAZ MAT Awareness Training.
Technology and Software
- Carlson Mining / Geology – 3D Geologic Modeling (SurvCADD)
- Geochemist’s Workbench – Geochemical Modeling
- PHREEQC – Geochemical Modeling
- AQTESOLV – Hydrogeolic software
- Coal Data Management System (CDMS) – Mining software
- AnAqSim – Analytical groundwater modeling
- Numerical Modeling – Visual Modflow, PMwin